From: Ventura, CA
Lives: Ventura, CA
Profession/Day Job: Professional Surfer, Model, Women-in-Sports Advocate, Environmentalist , Writer, TV personality, and Business Woman
Champion longboarder and professional surfer Mary Osborne is “an undeniable force of nature who has inspired hundreds of thousands of people around the world with her Nereid spirit whilst motivating females of all ages to be their very best…”* But she’s also much more than a renowned surfer: women-in-sports advocate, environmentalist , writer, model, TV personality, and business woman are just a few of the hats she wears, often simultaneously. She’s ambassador to the United Nations Environmental Safe Campaign and the 5 Gyres Institute, a Patagonia ambassador, and in 2015 was guest of honor and speaker at the Women’s Sports Foundation annual event. In 2010, Mary became the first woman to ride China’s Qiantang River tidal bore, the world’s largest and fastest bore, a roaring river-wave with recorded heights nearing 30-feet. She followed that up by returning to ride the bore again in each of the subsequent three years.
The list of Mary’s accomplishments is long, but it’s her smile, warmth, and ability to inject a big dose of fun into everything she does that will make joining her on one of her Tropical Escape adventures one of the best decisions you’ll make this year. Her infectious love for the ocean and surfing inevitably comes through in her approach to teaching where she focuses on confidence building and having fun to overcome her clients’ challenges and fears. Her motto of “Live * Love * Inspire,” reflects how Mary’s goal is to both inspire people to learn to surf and help them create a more confident and healthier vision for living.
She currently lives in Ventura, California where she writes for various publications, owns and operates Mary Osborne Surf Camps and Escapes, as well as owns Solymar Salon. Since 2012 to 2015, Mary was was nominated Ventura County’s “Best Athlete, ” her salon Solymar, “Best Tanning Salon,” and her camps “Best Surf Camps.” *Demigoddess Chronicle
The ocean has truly inspired me in more ways than one. It has lead me to find life long friendships, true love, & amazing travels. There is a unexplainable feeling only a surfer knows… it’s a gift every time you ride a wave and immerse yourself in the beauty of Mother Nature. The ocean keeps me feeling young, healthy and free.
- 33 days crossing the Atlantic ocean to study the Atlantic Gyre and plastic pollution, 2010
- Ambassador for 5 Gyres Institute and United Nations Safe Planet Campaign
- Founder, Mary Osborne Surf Camps for kids and Women’s Surf and Yoga Escapes
- Cover of Surfer’s Path, Surf Life for Women, Making Waves, Brass, and Surfing Girl Magazine
- First Women to Surf Silver Dragon tidal Bore in Hangzhou, China, 2010, 2011
- Winner of Malibu Surfing Association (MSA) Surf Contest, 2009, 2010
- Nominated for Action Girl of the Year and Teen Choice Award
- Television host for various sports and travel shows
- Winner of MTV Surf Girls
- Writer for various surf and travel publications including DEEP, Rodale Publications, Self, Sunset, Women’s Surf Style and Shape magazine